If you’ve been in a car accident in Omaha, Nebraska and someone was killed, injured, or if property damage exceeds $1000, you are required to report your crash to police. You can report an accident to police by calling 911 at the scene of the accident or by completing a Driver’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report. While you are not legally required to report a car accident to police if property damage is less than $1000, or if no one was killed or injured, it may still be a good idea to report your accident to the police. Why? If later someone involved in the crash develops symptoms or later learns he or she was injured in the crash, it might be more difficult to seek damages following an accident. It might also be more difficult to make an insurance claim without a police report if a person later learns they suffered injuries in a crash.

Not all personal injuries following a car accident are immediately apparent. Some injuries, like post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury might take days or weeks before they become apparent. It is usually a good idea to call the police after any accident for this reason. That way, if anyone develops injuries or claims to be injured, you have a police report to support your case should you need to file a claim with your insurance company or should you need to fight to show that you were not negligent for the crash. Without a police report, it’s just a he said, she said case, which can be difficult to unravel.

At the scene of the accident, adrenaline may be high, and it can sometimes be hard to determine whether the damage to your vehicle is less than $1000. Paint jobs for certain cars can be expensive! So, rather than making assumptions, it might be a good idea to call the police and file an accident report. That way, if damages do exceed $1000, or if you need to make an insurance claim for any damages, you have a police report to support your claim and to show to insurance adjusters.

If you’ve been in an accident in Omaha, Nebraska, and are having trouble reading your crash report, are having trouble obtaining your police report, or have questions about whether you might be entitled to seek damages for your accident from insurance companies or negligent parties, consider speaking to Rensch & Rensch Law in Omaha, Nebraska. Our car accident lawyers can review your police report, help you order your crash report, and help you take the next steps to protect your rights. You may only have a limited amount of time to report your crash or file a claim. Contact Rensch & Rensch Law today to learn more.

How to Obtain a Police Report in Omaha, Nebraska

You will need your police report when making an insurance claim. You will also want a copy of your police report to bring to your free, initial consultation with the personal injury lawyers at Rensch & Rensch Law in Omaha, Nebraska. You can order a copy of your crash report from the Nebraska Department of Transportation Website for a small fee. You’ll likely need a copy of your crash report when making an insurance claim or when discussing your personal injury case with Rensch & Rensch Law.

But what if you cannot obtain your crash report or what if police won’t go to the scene of the crash to make a report? Sometimes police won’t go to the scene of minor crashes, or won’t go to the scene of crashes that take place on private property. If police won’t come to you, you can still report the accident. According to the Nebraska Department of Transportation, you can report your crash online through the Driver Crash Reporting Website.

If police won’t go to the scene of your accident, there are other steps you can take to protect your rights. You’ll want as much information as possible at the crash scene. Here are some steps you can also take:

  • Gather contact information of the other driver. Get the other driver’s insurance information, contact information, and the make, model, year, and license plate number of his or her vehicle.
  • Gather contact information of witnesses. Your personal injury lawyer may contact witnesses to get more information about your crash.
  • Take photos. Take photos of the damage to your vehicle, but also consider the wider context of the accident. Take wide angle shots of the street and other surrounding obstacles.
  • Speak to property owners about whether there might be cameras or video footage. If your accident took place on private property, there may be cameras, photos, or closed circuit television that may have captured your accident. This evidence could be useful for your insurance claim or for your personal injury claim, especially if you don’t have a police report.

If you’ve been in a car accident, you may be entitled to make a claim for your lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering damages. Rensch & Rensch Law are personal injury lawyers in Omaha, Nebraska who work closely with victims to help them seek the compensation they may deserve. Our firm can review your police report to see what role the other driver may have played in your crash. If the other driver was at fault, you may be entitled to seek damages for your losses. Contact our firm today to protect your rights and to make a claim.

Schedule a Free Personal Injury Consultation in Omaha, Nebraska

Rensch & Rensch Law are personal injury lawyers in Omaha, Nebraska who offer victims of car accidents a free initial consultation to review accident reports, review insurance claims, and assist victims with their personal injury claims. Our car accident lawyers only get paid if you win. Contact Rensch & Rensch Law, car accident attorneys in Omaha, Nebraska today if you need help obtaining a police report, need assistance reading your police report, or need help with a car accident insurance claim or personal injury claim.

Legal Marketing Solutions by USAttorneys.com
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation

Designed by